If you want to capture water naturally from your roof top for use at a later, dryer date, use a rain barrel. Rain barrels capture rain that might otherwise be lost to the storm drain.
By capturing this water you will reduce runoff volume, promote infiltration, and slow and filter runoff from the roof. As long as the water is transported well away from foundations, concerns of structural damage and basement flooding can be alleviated.
There are many styles of rain barrels. They can be found on the Internet or at your local home goods or landscaping store. They range from $20 for a do-it-yourself kit to upwards of $200. Most are in the 45 to 55 gallon capacity size, but for greater storage multiple barrels may be installed in a series.
To install your rain barrel:
Rain Barrels for Sale
Order today and have it delivered directly to your home or cottage*
Recycled Food-Grade Plastic Rain Barrel
Member Price: $89.00 + shipping
Non-Member Price: $99.00 + shipping
• Constructed of recycled food-grade plastic pickle or olive barrels
• Height: 35 inches
• Diameter: 23 inches
• 53 gallon capacity
• Weight: 15 lbs.
• Nylon spigot
• Screw on top with holes and screen mesh to keep out debris and mosquitos
• Top contains screening to keep out leaves and debris
• Overflow fittings allow excess water to be diverted into a second barrel
• Delivered directly to your home or cottage for $26.00 each