Become a Member of the Watershed Council
The Watershed Council relies upon individual members for its strength and financial support. Help us grow by becoming a member today!
As a member, you will receive:
For your convenience Tip of the Mitt Watershed now offers membership pledges as well as annual memberships. Pledges help provide financial stability for our organization and are a great way to increase your contribution without feeling an additional pinch. Pledges can be as little or as much as you like and can be stopped at any time.
Our waters can't speak for themselves.
They need our help. Become a member today.
There are many other ways you can support the financial stability of our organization and protect our vital natural resource. Planned giving options include:
- Tribute Gift (Memorial or Honorarium)
- Endowment Fund - The Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council's Endowment Fund was created in 1990. Since the Fund's creation, assets have grown to over $1.1 million. Charitable gifts received can be placed in the Endowment Fund or designated for any of the Watershed Council's program areas. If placed in the Endowment Fund, only the earnings from the investments are used by the Watershed Council for operations; the principal remains in the Fund as financial protection for the future.
- Bequest - A bequest to the Watershed Council can take the form of cash, securities, real estate, or other assets. Any size bequest is greatly appreciated by the Watershed Council and helps further our work. The Watershed Council has sample language for inclusion in your will to make the gift simple for you. A bequest reduces the size of your taxable estate. Therefore, the cost of your bequest may be offset by a reduction in state and federal death taxes.
- Gifts In-Kind - Many types of assets other than cash can be donated to the Watershed Council, including:
- appreciated securities
- real estate
- tangible personal property such as art work, jewelry and the like
- life insurance
Gifts of the above, during your lifetime, qualify you for immediate income tax deductions, and also reduce the size of your estate thus avoiding estate taxes. Gifts In Kind are converted to cash by the Watershed Council to further our water quality protection programming.
- Charitable Gift Annuities - It is possible to give a gift to the Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council with a simple contractual agreement that will allow you to support water resource protection programs and receive guaranteed lifetime payments for yourself or your designated beneficiary or beneficiaries. Gift annuities can be in the form of income, securities, or real estate, which provide potential tax advantages such as::
- An immediate charitable income tax deduction
- Payments that are partially tax-free or taxed at lower rates
- Reduction in estate taxes
- Reduction in capital gains taxes for appreciated securities that are gifted
- Charitable Lead Gifts - Charitable Lead Trusts pay an income to the Watershed Council for a specified period of time, after which the principal reverts to the donor or some other designated person(s). Through these trusts, your family may receive a tax-free inheritance while the Watershed Council enjoys years of steady support.
- Gift of Home, Vacation Home, or Farm, while retaining use for life. - Donors can enjoy the immediate tax benefits of giving a home, vacation home, farm, or other real estate to the Watershed Council, while retaining use of the properties for life. The Watershed Council will sell the home or farm after the life estate has been terminated and use the funds for our water quality programs.
MoreThere are other charitable giving mechanisms available to donors so please contact us to find out other ways you can give the legacy of clean water. The Watershed Council recommends that you review all charitable gift plans with your personal advisors to ensure that your financial goals are being met. Each of the gift methods described above offer substantial tax advantages to most donors. As part of the planning process a Watershed Council staff member will be pleased to meet with you as well.
Our staff will be glad to assist you in selecting a planned giving option that will meet your particular needs. Contact us for more information.